Goodstart is Australia’s largest provider of early learning and care. Founded with a vision for all Australia’s children to have the best possible start in life, as a not-for-profit social enterprise, we exist purely to improve the lives of Australia’s children and their families.
We are deeply committed to Reconciliation and recognise that providing care to over 71,000 children and employing 15,000 employees, we have an incredible opportunity to build knowledge and a deeper understanding of our First Nations people and culture to our future generations.
We are looking for a Torres Strait Islander Cultural Liaison to support the implementation of Goodstart’s Reconciliation Action Plans (RAPs) and the further development of cultural safety across Goodstart.
This role is focused on ensuring Torres Strait Islander children, families and Goodstarters experience culturally safe and supportive learning and working environments and to build our connections outside of our centre into the Torres Strait Islander community
This is an identified Torres Strait Islander position. This role is a full time, permanent position working at our Cairns Head Office.
About the role –
- Work with our Centres and Head Office to –
- Develop respectful relationships with the local community to enable collaborative, co-constructed curriculum relevant to children in their local context
- Improve attendance and participation by Torres Strait Islander children and families.
- Create new offers and opportunities to engage with Torres Strait Islander children and families,
- Share and advocate Goodstart’s Inclusion goal to support Torres Strait Islander children and families’ access to early learning
- Establish and maintain collaborative partnerships with Torres Strait Islander families and community
- Promote quality and continuous improvement in early childhood education and care for Torres Strait Islander children and families
- Identify emerging trends and areas of need across the organisation to improve Torres Strait Islander cultural competence
- Develop targeted strategies to enhance and deepen Torres Strait Islander cultural understanding and implementation in pedagogical practice
About you –
- Have a connection with the Torres Strait Islander community both in the Islands and on the Mainland
- Have a strong understanding of the issues affecting Torres Strait Islander people,
- Have knowledge and understanding of the dynamics and protocols of Torres Strait Islander communities both in the Islands and on the Mainland Australia
- Proven experience of advising on Torres Strait Islander culture and history
- Previous experience at building relationships, driving change and influencing stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to assess and communicate strengths and needs of culturally intelligent early childhood education and care practice based on evidence, observation, and data.
- Experience in developing pragmatic solutions to identified issues and creating action plans that improve early childhood education and care practice and organisational cultural safety.
As well as being offered this amazing opportunity, you will -
- Have access to Not-For-Profit Salary Packaging benefits which reduces your taxable income to increase take home pay
- Undertake flexible work arrangements giving you choice about when and how work will be done in order to better manage your work and non-work needs
- Gain significant investment in your growth and development with support, tools, training and experiences
- Be empowered to drive continuous change and find new and innovative ways of working to achieve goals
- Work for a company that has an aspiration to be globally recognised for early years practice and learning outcomes
- Be a part of a team and work environment where everyone feels a sense of belonging, inclusion and purpose
- Have access to discounted childcare
- Enjoy discounted health care and access to an employee wellbeing program with BUPA
- Have the opportunity to participate in active social club events
- Enjoy exclusive discounts on travel, gym memberships, Apple and Dell products, and more….
Goodstart Early Learning are proud of our inclusive work environment that supports and encourages individual growth and strong teams. Goodstart Early Learning acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples as the Traditional Custodians of all lands on which we come together. We recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures as enduring, living cultures and pay our respects to Elders past and present.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please upload your Cover Letter & CV to our website (emailed applications will not be considered).
If you would like a copy of the PD please email Alysse Giudice - firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting Notes: WOREE, CAIRNS || QLD || Australia (AU) || Social Inclusions || SF:LI || No Early Childhood Qualification || Full-Time