As Director Data Science you drive the development of a defined area of data science topics across the full analytics cycle: from framing business need, through data exploration and modelling to operationalization. You drive the automated execution of consumer engagement programs, consumer interactions in digital touchpoints and business processes of the company. You will work with various stakeholders and product owners to identify mots impactful opportunities for data science applications across the organization. Within our organization, you are a data science ambassador and develop an innovation fostering network within the global data science ecosystem. In this context, you contribute to evolving the Adidas data science ecosystem by developing and introducing new practices.
Scope: Accountable for the development of a wide area in the data science domain
- Coordinate and supervise the application of the full set of advanced analysis methodologies to optimize customer acquisition, engagement, conversion, experience as well as business decision making and processes. This includes framing of business needs, data exploration as well as descriptive, predictive and prescriptive modeling, and implementation of solutions together with IT functions
- Oversee the generation of insights to increase the understanding of adidas consumers and products, exploring their affinities and intents in order to make the best recommendations to consumers through the right digital channel at the right time
- Drive continuous improvement by refining methodologies and challenging the status quo, raising the standards for faster delivery, and by providing to input into the adidas data strategy to identify and nurture our data assets
- Drive design, improvement, and automation of the data science platform and the machine learning pipeline to facilitate our data science capabilities and activities and serve use cases at scale.
- Monitor the external environment and assess of emerging technologies and methodologies in the data science space to evaluate the potential impacts, threats and opportunities to the organization.
Data Science Network & Storytelling
- Help adidas benefit from innovations in the global ecosystem of data science, big data, machine learning, artificial intelligence by developing, nurturing, and maintaining a solid network with key players.
- Coach colleagues to increase their expertise in state-of-the-art analytic techniques, data science, data engineering, data governance, and software development.
- Present and promote analysis results and insights to colleagues at all levels, including senior stakeholders in a way that allows them to understand the value of your work, apply your output and realize business potential.
Product / Capability Ownership
- Manage the life-cycle of specific data products and capabilities.
- Drive the evolution of the capability backlog together with the product owners.
- Ensure that the area iteratively delivers actionable insights, results, and solutions valuable to the business and stakeholders, using appropriate techniques, and adhering to our data science methodology and standards for code, analysis and results.
- Lead one or more senior stakeholder relationships.
- Create a supportive work environment in which employees are coached, trained and provided with career opportunities through development.
- Continuously monitor and evaluate team workload and organizational efficiency with the support of data and team feedback and make appropriate changes in order to meet business needs.
- Provide team members/direct reports with clear direction and targets that are aligned with business needs and Digital objectives.
Education & Professional Experience
- University degree in the a numeric / statistical discipline (M.Sc. or PhD)
- 10+ years of experience in analytics in a Digital and/or eCommerce environment, excellent knowledge of the digital industry (products, technologies, solution providers, commercial models, trends)
- 5+ years of professional experience in an international & cross-functional environment
- Proven experience of leading an analytics function in a client oriented structure
- Experience in managing a team is a plus
- Exceptional communication skills, comfortable presenting complex topics to stakeholders at various organizational levels both in person and remotely
- Distinctive strategic mindset and ability to prioritize and delegate high numbers of tasks with varying workload and importance
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
- Strong team player that can collaborate across functions and organizations
- Strong ability to develop influential and collaborative relationships with the Group
- Excellent coding skills using common data science toolkits
- Excellent knowledge in applied statistics, distributions, statistical testing, data mining and machine learning algorithms
- In-depth understanding of data mining technologies
- Experience with NoSQL data bases
- Experience on data aggregations, data models and operationalization of data mining algorithms
- Fluent English both verbally and written