Primary Location: Asia-Malaysia-Kuala Lumpur
Employee Status: Permanent
Posting Date: 17/Sep/2021, 7:19:28 AM
Unposting Date: Ongoing
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
Conduct, Financial Crime & Compliance (CFCC)’s vision is: Partnering to drive the right outcomes for clients and communities.
The Second Line Assurance (2LA) function within CFCC provides independent, effective, insightful and risk based assurance across non-financial risk-types. Our vision is ONE approach, ONE plan, ONE mindset: a digital, commercial and risk based function that focuses on key risks that impact our clients, business and regulators; Insights that improve client experience and risk management; a talent bank recruiting, growing and delivering even stronger talent.
- Collaborate with and support their Head of Assurance or Head of Team, directly contributing to the overall strategy of the function through the development of the 2LA Annual Plan (“the Plan”).
- Proactively identify and communicate emerging CFCC risks as input to any periodic review of the Plan.
- Contribute to any development of the 2LA Methodology (“the Methodology”) as necessary; ensure that approved changes to the Methodology are communicated and cascaded to team members in their area of responsibility.
- When assigned to lead a Review, communicate outcomes to relevant stakeholders and support them in developing mitigating actions to correct identified issues.
- Execute assigned review tasks within the designated business area; identify and record potential issues and ensure that these are formally evaluated according to the Methodology.
- Actively engage in the Review processes, taking every opportunity to develop their knowledge and understanding of SCB Business and the execution of Assurance while delivering their tasks.
- Ensure that key changes (to laws, rules, regulations) relevant to the execution of Assurance activities are communicated and cascaded to team members in their area of responsibility.
- In coordination with Program Team, fully engage in the collection of the relevant information to develop risk-based assurance reviews, participate in the 1st and 2nd Line Stakeholders discussions, gather 1st and 3rd line testing, analyse the CRA, review Region Heads Bottoms Up Plan to deliver consistency and efficiency across the consolidated plan
- Manage all scoping and set up processes either under the supervision of a review lead or directly where leading a review.
- When assigned to lead a Review, ensure that completed reviews are correctly closed, and that all documentation is correctly filed, as required by the Methodology.
- As required by the Methodology track issues throughout the issue lifecycle, capture and track the issue data in the relevant tracking tool and ensure the remediation of issues arising from assigned Reviews (and any other assigned task) is sustainable and validated before closure. In the event of a serious regulatory breach, or where risk tolerances have been breached, ensure their Head of Assurance is informed, and action is taken quickly to remediate - or related activities are ceased.
- Work with their team to identify and propose control enhancements and / or simplifications where appropriate; support all control checks required under the Operational Risk Framework (“ORF”).
- Promote 2LA co-operation and partnership with Auditors, regulators, peers and industry.
- Monitor quality standards for Review activities within their area of responsibility; recommend action to drive performance improvement where required.
- Capture and communicate insights arising from Review execution; actively engage in driving improvement of the Methodology.
- Drive skills management processes for managed staff, ensuring skills assessments are correctly completed and maintained.
- When assigned to lead a Review, ensure the timely release of Review team members to their next task; actively manage assigned resources to ensure that tasks are completed on schedule; work closely with G&O to manage unexpected resource requirements.
People and Talent
- Promote and embed a culture of openness, trust, and risk awareness where ethical legal, regulatory and policy compliant conduct is the norm.
- Stimulate and environment where forward planning prioritisation, deadline management and streamline workflows and collaborative, inclusive effective work practices are the norm.
- Support the development of capability to provide Assurance across all CFCC risk types.
- Adhere to the required standards of risk management for the management of all Assurance processes.
- Ensure that work delivered in their area of responsibility follows prescribed workflows and meets quality standards for the Assurance function with the required attention to detail and within the timelines set.
- Swiftly escalate significant risks and issues arising from Assurance activities by notifying their Head of Assurance.
- Provide accurate, timely and insightful reporting on CFCC standards and operational performance as identified through oversight and assurance activities.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Group Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across the Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Heads, Group Internal Audit.
- Country Risk & Compliance teams.
- Business Heads/Functional Heads for relevant reviews
- 2LA Assurance Management Team
- Local regulators
Our Ideal Candidate
- Bachelors degree or Equivalent required
- Auditing, Risk Management, Compliance background required
- Understanding of Conduct Risk Framework and Conduct Risk
- Experience interpreting regulatory rules applicable with Conduct lens
- Experience performing walkthroughs, risk assessments of the internal controls environment, performing controls and substantive testing
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Comprehensive knowledge of banking and investment product across client segments
- Good knowledge of regional regulatory requirements, including recent regulatory reform
- Previous review or assurance experience with minimum of 2-5 years (compliance or audit reviews, operational risk reviews or testing, risk management)
- Strong analytical skills, and confidence in interrogating data, processes and interviewing stakeholders.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills – ability to present complex information clearly and concisely
- Takes responsibility, ownership and accountability for own tasks and work output.
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages. We welcome conversations on flexible working.