In light of the continuing crisis in the Syrian Arab Republic and its impact on neighboring countries, UNFPA established a regional response hub in Amman-Jordan to coordinate and provide technical and operational support to its offices in the Syrian Arab Republic and the neighboring countries of Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Egypt and Turkey. The UNFPA regional Syria response Hub leads the development of humanitarian knowledge management and provides tailored operational support to country offices, and coordinates with other sister UN agencies regional emergency offices. In light of the Whole of Syria (WOS) approach that the humanitarian community has embraced (that includes Syria and the cross border operations from Turkey and Jordan), the UNFPA regional Syria response Hub has also become the coordination and information management point for the WOS for UNFPA and for its mandated areas of responsibility in Gender Based Violence (GBV) and Reproductive Health (RH).
Contribute to knowledge and evidence base on GBV in humanitarian settings for the Arab states region and provide tailored operational support to the UNFPA regional Syria crisis response.
Qualifications and Experience
• Advanced university degree in Public Health, Social Sciences, Political Sciences, Public Administration, Economics, Development Studies, Gender Studies, Law, or Programme/Project management, Monitoring and Evaluation.
• 7 years of professional experience, with at least 5 years of relevant development work at the national, regional or international level
• Proven experience of managing or coordinating GBV programmes is essential
• Experience of working in the region and on the Syria Crisis an advantage.
• Excellent knowledge of and experience with results-based management methodologies and tools (project and programme management, design, monitoring and evaluation) and research and policy-level analysis
• Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to work effectively in a multicultural and changing environment, communication skills, teamwork, analytic thinking, planning and organizing, time management, creativity and innovation and client orientation.
• Demonstrated self-motivation, persistence and the ability to proactively manage own stress level and those of others; capacity to deal with conflict situations and opposition in a positive manner; maturity and sound sense of judgment to interact with all UN colleagues at various levels, senior governmental officials, civil society representatives, donors and other
• Experience in working with UN/UNFPA is an asset. Field experience is strongly desirable
• Initiative, strong conceptual and analytical abilities, sound judgment, liaison skills, negotiation skills, administrative, management and organizational skills (including time management)
• Proven communications, interpersonal, and writing skills in English.
• Fluency in English is required; Working knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.