Coordinate and review inputs from the various Engineering disciplines, functional departments, and out-house contractors contributing to the execution of the Engineering portion of a project. Accountable for the success of a part of an Engineering project with direction from the Project Engineering Manager. Coordinate and ensure the generation of deliverables, reports, and procedures required for the Engineering portion of the project. Support management of the Engineering portion of the project as directed by the Project Engineering Manager. Use discipline and project management expertise to identify and solve a range of project problems/issues between functional groups. Coordinate project personnel to achieve project objectives. May act as deputy PEM and be able to take over for PEM at certain stage of project.
Liaise with Project Team members plus all functional departments based on the specific functions allotted for a project, subcontractors and vendors, and Customer; includes Procurement, Fabrication, Marine, Quality, HSES, Completions, and Welding Technology.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Assist Project Engineering Manager in planning, organizing, coordinating and controlling small projects or the Engineering portion of a larger project in accordance with established policies, procedures, systems and requirements.
- Act as a liaison for Engineering in communications and meetings with Customer project team, third party agencies and subcontractors; for the Engineering portion of the project.
- Assist the Project Engineering Manager in organizing the Project Team and fortifying all required positions with appropriate and competent persons to undertake the project's Engineering Project Management functions.
- Assist Project Engineering Manager in communicating the as-awarded scope of work to the Engineering project team's lead personnel. The scope of work includes Scope of Services and Scope of Facilities.
- Assist Project Engineering Manager in communicating key contractual requirements to the Engineering project team's lead personnel. These include clauses related to change orders, approval authorities, warranties, pricing and payment basis.
- Assist in the development and implementation of the Engineering Project Execution Plan (PEP), and Engineering's portion of Project Set-Up and Project Close-out.
- Assist Project Engineering Manager in determining if any part of the Engineering work scope needs to be subcontracted or workshared due to limitations of in-house capabilities or capacity constraints, and modifying Project Plan accordingly. Ensure changes in execution plans are communicated to the project team's lead personnel, and incorporated into project forecasts.
- Prepare worksharing Interface Plan & Scope Split Matrix. Ensure all scopes of work are addressed, handover points are understood and agreed, and that there are no scope gaps or overlaps between the worksharing offices and any subcontractors.
- Review the Project Plan along with the project planner and prepare subcontract scope packages for any work that is required to be subcontracted.
- Attend Engineering Project Readiness reviews (as required)
- Persuade, communicate, and reinforce Engineering project goals with internal and external customers, especially changes to project work scope, contract price and schedule.
- Identify, track and manage all changes in the Engineering Scope of Work, drawings, specifications, schedule and execution methodology on the project; all changes are to be promptly captured through the Desk Top Change Management System (DTCMS).
- Review any scope of work documents produced by the respective functional departments and identify changes impacting Engineering, update the Engineering Scope of Work documents as required/agreed, and assist in preparation of change orders.
- Communicate changes to the scope and contract to the project team as the project progresses.
- Coordinate information between Engineering and other functions (such as Fabrication, Marine, etc.) to ensure timely receipt and delivery of necessary design inputs.
- Ensure that registers of all documents received by Engineering as well as sent are maintained and updated in accordance with Document Control inclusive of timely distribution to all concerned personnel, departments, other entities, and subcontractor(s) as necessary.
- Liaise and coordinate with Project Construction Managers, Project Engineering Manager, Project
- Procurement Manager, Project HSE Advisor, Project Quality Manager, Project Controls Manager, Discipline Managers, Sub-contractors, Production Engineers, operations engineers and Completions Managers.
- Assist Project Engineering Manager in ensuring effective management of the interfaces between
- Engineering and the respective groups from Procurement, Fabrication, Marine, and the Customer.
- Manage Lead Engineer interfaces to ensure there are no scope of work gaps or overlaps, and work is being completed in accordance with agreed schedules.
- Document substantive communications (communications that result in significant decisions or assignment of actions), and forward copies to Engineering Project Manager.
- Provide input into development of lowest cost technical solution for Prospective Work.
- Coordinate preparation of bid's and project's Engineering budget, execution plans, and schedules; updating as required.
- Facilitate the development and monitor closeout of technical queries to obtain missing information, clarify work scope, and to maintain preferred McDermott procedures, specifications, standards, practices and operational requirements.
- Coordinate and progress site queries related to subcontracted works.
- Review project schedule and fabrication schedule in relation to construction sequence, milestones, and engineering scope, checking for alignment.
- Attend Weekly Progress Meetings (internal as well as with Customer) and prepare the Minutes of Meetings.
- Monitor worksharing team meetings, attending as necessary.
- Review Engineering's Project:
- Cost Reports,
- Financial forecasts,
- Schedules, and
- Project-specific procedures.
- Coordinate and ensure that Engineering and associated Design work, including weight control information and necessary updates, are carried out by the respective discipline personnel in accordance with the specifications and schedule.
- Ensure all procedures and calculations are submitted to the Customer for review and approval in accordance with the contract. Monitor their approvals with the Customer.
- Coordinate with the Project Quality Manager to ensure that the Engineering work is being performed per the Quality plans and that all necessary inspection and certification are available for the final documentation package.
- Coordinate with the Project Procurement Manager/Coordinator to ensure that specifications, TBEs, vendor data expediting, and vendor data approvals required to be provided by Engineering are delivered per schedule, resolving technical queries as required.
- Coordinate with senior production engineers and offshore operations engineers frequently to understand the progress of work activities on the project, identifying constraints related to Engineering deliverables and facilitating solutions.
- Keep the Project Engineering Manager apprised of all activities and concerns, technical, budgetary and manpower related.
- Foster an environment of positive team morale and collaboration within the project team.
- Monitor work in progress and compile weekly/monthly reports on the status of each activity.
- Gather and assemble inputs for actual, planning and forecasting progress reports including associated productivity.
- Monitor KPI measurement results, and alert Discipline Leads as necessary to take timely corrective action to avoid negative consequences to the project.
- Participate in HAZAN, HAZID, HAZOP and other safety / operability / reliability studies and workshops, as necessary.
- Participate in 3D model reviews, as necessary.
- Coordinate and participate in Constructability reviews, as necessary.
- Travel as necessary to attend Customer and project meetings and to facilitate the resolution of
- Engineering interface issues, including traveling to other Engineering offices, Fabrication Yard and Offshore.
- Present issues and problems to Customers in a timely manner and assist Project Engineering Manager in negotiating resolution in accordance with project and company requirements.
- Identify communication / expectation / project execution gaps between MDR and Customer. Develop and execute solutions to close identified gaps.
- Attend Technical Quality Audit reviews, as necessary.
- Facilitate project Discipline Lead Engineers' and Designers' reviews of previous project's' lessons learned, and ensure that lessons learned on the project are entered into MDR's Lessons Learned system progressively as they are identified.
- Guide less experienced Project Engineers on MDR and Discipline procedures, standards, worksheets, calculations, software, requisitions, technical bid evaluations, technical queries, etc.
- Manage daily activities of Engineering project personnel including technical and administrative support.
- Participate in development and maintenance of Global Procedures, Software, and Standards.
- Incorporate approved Lessons Learned into MDR Level 2 & 3 engineering project management procedures, as applicable.
- Provide input to Engineering Manager on performance appraisals for project team members.
- Assist local Management in interviewing job applicants.
Essential Qualifications and Education:
- 9+ years of applicable industry experience of which 5+ yrs of engineering discipline experience in oil and gas with major contractor or consultant in an office predominately performing detail design of offshore facilities
- At least 2+ years of Engineering Project Management experience
- Bachelor Degree in an Engineering discipline
- General multi-discipline knowledge of design techniques, analysis methods, and resulting deliverables.
- General knowledge of the theory, content and application of statutory codes and guidelines as applicable for offshore.
- Knowledgeable in project execution and managerial skills.
- Project interdiscipline coordination experience in Engineering portions of EPCI projects
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Preferably Registered Professional Engineer or member of professional engineering society
Company Overview and Core Values:
McDermott is a premier, fully-integrated provider of technology, engineering and construction solutions to the energy industry. For more than a century, customers have trusted McDermott to design and build end-to-end infrastructure and technology solutions—from the wellhead to the storage tank—to transport and transform oil and gas into the products the world needs today.
At McDermott, we hold all employees accountable to follow our 5 core values.
- Integrity – we maintain a firm adherence to legal and ethical conduct
- One Team – we are one company, where everyone is equally important
- Go Beyond – we seek courageous and creative solutions
- Well-Being – we promote all forms of well-being
- Commitment – we are reliable and dependable in delivering quality solutions
Primary Location: MY-Kuala Lumpur-Kuala Lumpur
Job: Project Engineer (Eng)
Employee Status: Contract
Job Posting: Sep 16, 2021, 7:36:10 PM