Overview of job
MediaCom is looking for a Chief Strategy Officer to drive integration via the application of MediaCom’s planning operating system. If successful, you will help develop MediaCom China & Hong Kong team’s strategic thinking and (with the Chief Digital Officer) integrating knowledge of all digital media particularly emerging platforms and new technologies.
Reporting of the role
The Chief Strategy Officer will report to the CEO MediaCom China.
- Elevate the overall quality of MediaCom’s marketing-focused, insights-fueled, strategic thinking in order to inspire all MediaCom recommendations and output.
- Closely partner with Research/ Insights to transform MediaCom’s ‘Real World’ consumer insights into compelling implications and tangible recommendations.
- Functioning as a Knowledge Resource - a key agency link to the wealth of Network, GroupM and WPP knowledge resources.
- Author the overall strategic ‘story’ that will be the basis to all major MediaCom recommendations and all new business presentations.
- Build strategic bridges and partnerships between traditional media planning and the digitally-driven thinking needed to increasingly fuel all media/communication planning.
- Drive MediaCom Thought Leadership with clients in order to:
- Challenge the status quo whilst embodying Creativity and Freshness - always in pursuit of Client Growth and Results;
- Ensure MediaCom work is increasingly recognized within the industry in China and Asia market.
- Serve as a respected senior agency Coach and Team Player for agency staff - personifying global values via behavior, output and active commitment to People Development.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Using global best practices, cases and learnings, define the strategic standard for ‘What Great looks like’ and align with China management. To then develop a learning plan to cascade and train all key functional leaders, client directors and planning staff.
- Work with China ExCo members prior to the annual planning season to develop an action plan on how to step-change the quality of annual communication planning.
- Attend key client annual briefings and key business meetings to listen to the business goals that media can impact. This is also key to ensuring the CSO is quickly viewed by clients as another senior leader actively involved in client business.
- Collaborate with specialists like Digital, Branded Entertainment/ Content, Business Science and Research/ Insights to ensure their strategic expertise is better used upstream to craft the agency response. In particular, help drive Research/ Insights as a proactive propellant to strategy development.
- Partner with the CEO to develop the credible MediaCom strategic story for new business presentations, with particular emphasis on telling a simple, differentiated story. (In terms of both content and visual representation.) The specific goal is to drive strategic thinking as a core MediaCom differentiator and new business driver.
- Work with HR to ensure inclusion of strategically-related skills-sets (marketing, storytelling, business-understanding, brainstorming/ facilitation) are included in developmental curriculum. This is key to develop strategic thinking through all agencies.
- Regularly Communicate (monthly via the Board/ Management) ongoing progress reports to how the strategic uptake is cascading and being applied to all client recommendations.
- By the 2016 Planning Cycle, to help drive award-recognition via MediaCom Results and Industry-related Awards (Client, Regional, Global.)
What you will need:
- Previous Board level experience (or 15 years minimum in related industries).
- A natural Storyteller—a highly articulate and persuasive writer and speaker (samples of presentations are required.)
- Demonstrable ability to simplify/ synthesize complex data from a variety of sources and then communicate solutions in a simply fresh perspective. (Give ‘meaning’ to the complex—sees patterns that others don’t yet see.)
- Digitally comfortable—The CSO should be fully versed on the strategic roles of interactive/ digital as well as familiar with predicted evolutions.
- Proven track record as a ‘team player’ —this position requires high amounts of actionable collaboration and ability to coach and inspire. (This is not for the academic or lone-ranger.)
- Skilled familiarity with various research techniques and sources (qualitative consumer research, various forms of quantitative research methodologies). This is needed for research application, not actual research undertaking.
- Work quickly and work well under pressure—often multitasking a variety of projects. Workflow and organizational skills are therefore key.
- A self-starter: Works closely with their manager but proactively looks for solutions.
- Committed to high standard in a pragmatic manner (not idealistic/ theoretical.)
- Ability to challenge conventional thinkingbut in a constructive way.
Overall, Inspirational yet Focused—elevate and directs.
- Natural Facilitator—helps teams cross-pollinate shared solutions.
- High EQ, Listener/ Empathetic—highly receptive to multiple inputs.
- Influential—uses behaviour to help open doors.
- Expressive—uses empathy and humour to bring down barriers
- Intuitive—combining analytical and ‘gut’
MediaCom is the “The Content + Connections Agency”, working on behalf of its clients to leverage their brands’ entire system of communications across paid, owned and earned channels to step change their business outcomes. MediaCom is one of the world’s leading media communications specialists, with billings exceeding US$33 billion (Source: RECMA 2015). It employs 6,500 people in 125 offices across 100 countries around the globe. Its client roster includes P&G, Dell and Universal. In 2015, MediaCom was recognised by RECMA as the leading global agency network in its Network Diagnostics report, and also was the first agency network to top all 3 key RECMA reports across EMEA. Also in 2015, MediaCom has been awarded Media Agency of the Year in the US by AdAge and Adweek, Agency of the Year in the UK by Campaign and The Drum, and Global Agency of the Year at the M&M Awards. The agency captured six Media Lions at the 2015 Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity, making it the top performer among all global media agency networks.
For more information, visitwww.mediacom.com
Find us on Twitter @mediacomglobal.
Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/MediaComGlobalNews.
Join us on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/company/mediacom.
Hong Kong’s small yet highly dynamic and efficient media market means it gets to operate with agility. Its internet and digital penetration continues to grow year-on-year, and has the highest smartphone penetration in Asia Pacific at 87%, while tablet ownership clocks in at 57%. Hong Kong’s digital market boasts a healthy mix of local, regional and global players, providing new opportunities in the media space.
GroupM APAC is committed to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion. Our people are our strength so we respect and nurture their individual talent and potential.